Saturday, May 7, 2011

Why Are We So Obsessed with other people

At any given time or day the top trending stuff is other people, usually celebrities. I just don't get it. Are our lives that boring that we feel a need to keep up on celebrities lives? Do we have nothing else to do but pop up our favorite search engine and read about other people's personal lives for endless hours? What could you be doing instead with all that wasted time? Maybe some important errands? Some family time? Exercise? Some business? Something fun, like outdoors? There is a whole world outside of TV, video games, and Internet people! Even just some much needed quiet downtime with no thoughts, just relaxing? We could all use that!

Personally I don't care what the Housewives of Whatever City are doing, or who is adopting kids, or who is getting married or breaking up. I'm not interested in what's going on in all the fake “reality” shows. I don't know these people, they don't exist in my real life. I think the whole concept of sticking cameras everywhere in famous peoples homes and televising everything going on in there lives is just wasteful. It's not real anyway. Don't you think these people would do or say things differently if there were no cameras there?

I also don't really care what celebrities are wearing.
Don't get me wrong, I like fashion and high end stuff when I can afford it, but I wear what I like because “I” like it, not because some famous person is wearing it. I wear prescription glasses. I went through the whole trial and error of the cheap stuff off the racks, then the cheap stuff from the real prescription stores. They were all crap and always breaking very easily. So I had to grit my teeth and shell out the big bucks for the better high end glasses. Now I own two very expensive "designer" prescription glasses and they are so much better and durable and come with warranties.
It's the same thing with clothes. I can find the same pair of cargo shorts that look almost exactly like the high end ones over at some Super Store for a lot less, but they just don't hold up or last. So again, I grit my teeth and head to the high end stuff to grab me a pair that fit better and last longer.
For cyclists, it's like comparing a Trek to a Huffy (my first bike was a Huffy by the way), but I'm not going run out and buy a certain bike just because Lance Armstrong rides one. So I get it...I'm just not obsessed with it!

So when you're wasting those hours away reading or watching something about someone you will probably never even meet and what is going on in their lives. Think about what else you can do. What are other people doing right now? How could I spend my time better? If you are still obsessed and just can't stop, think of this. There are things out there called recorders. DVR's, TIVO's, DVD recorders, heck even VCR’s. Record your obsessions and after all the more important or fun stuff is over, you can read or watch that stuff while everyone else in the real world is sleeping...

Awwww Man, one of MY obsessions is on TV right now. The Tampa Bay Rays! But this is one of my only days off with my daughter, so I think I will record the game, take out my Trek and daughters bike and get some much needed exercise and go for a Daddy- Daughter ride....that's much more important! I can watch the game later.....

No comments: